The menu Posting of the Admin Dashboard allows to customize different things related to posting questions and answers, as you can guess from the name 😉
Some basic options can be enabled or disabled by a check mark. I write down here what personally would choose, so please say so in the comments if you disagree
- Close questions with a selected answer: nope, and in addition until now we rather tended to refrain from choosing a selected answer anyway
- Allow questions to be manually closed: yes
- Allow users to answer their own question: yes
- Allow multiple answers per user: yes
- Allow questions to be related to answers: don’t know what this means
- Allow comments on questions: yes
- Allow comments on answers: yes
Then you can choose either the Markdown Editor or a WYSIWYG Editor as the default for posting questions, answers, and comments. Here, I think we should choose an appropriate Markdown Editor, see also the discussion about Plugins.
Next, you have the possibility to provide custom messages that appear in the forms used to ask, answer, and comment which can be activated by a check mark. These features are similar to what Stack Exchange applies to overpatronizing users by writing “don’t say thank +1” there etc … ;-).
- Custom message on ask form – HTML allowed
- Custom field for extra information on ask form
- Custom message on answer form – HTML allowed
- Custom message on comment form – HTML allowed
Some minimal criteria posts have to fulfill can be specified next:
- Minimum length of question title:
- Maximum length of question title: maximum possible is 800
- Minimum length of question body:
- Minimum number of tags: 1
- Maximum number of tags:
- Use commas as the only tag separator: yes (check mark)
- Minimum length of answer:
- Minimum length of comment:
- Check email notification box by default:
As this has nothing to do with political moderation ;-), I think we can use the SE settings where possible here.
After this comes a text field for censored words, you have to separate them by commas. As we are, conversely to what Stack Exchange thinks, grown up intelligent people who do not need to be patronized by telling us how we are allowed to communicate with each other etc, we probably don’t need this. However, be writing some awful political terms SE often (ab)uses there, such as “broken window”, “big city problem”, “not constructive” etc, this feature might be useful as a detector for SE politicians who are trying to undermine our site … ;-P. That the SE typical political overmoderation can indeed completely destroy several years old beta sites by continuously and strongly acting against the community, you can see for example here.
Ok, back to business 😉 … Then come some options related to define related questions:
- Check for similar questions when asking: yes (can be enabled by a check mark)
- Similar questions matching: here you can choose widest, wider, default, narrow, narrowest
- Maximum similar questions to show: maximum 50
Finally, you can specify some settings concerning tagging :
- Show example tags based on question: yes (even though we do not expect to have as many askers as Physics SE who do not even know enough physics to choose appropriate tags and therefore create tons of silly unprofessional ones 😉 …)
- Example tags matching: widest, wider, default, narrow, narrowest
- Show matching tags while typing: yes (can be enabled by a check mark)
- Maximum tag hints to show: maximum 50
Generally, I think we should seriously discuss what Physics Overflow urgently needs before going (bugfree LaTex, TP users can reclaim their posts and accounts, attribution of questions not taken from the TP data dump, …?) online and which less important but still nice to have technical issues can be deferred a bit and resolved while the site is already running, in the near future, maybe before Christmas.