Finally, a long-awaited announcement. Physics Overflow’s private beta will end next week at midnight on Thursday, i.e. at 0000 hours, 4 April 2014!
This means that the public beta, which is the fifth phase in the history of Physics Overflow is going to begin. The phases so far are:
- The TRF thread
- The blog
- The offline site [Foetushood]
- The private beta [Infanthood]
- The public beta (will begin next week) [Childhood]
- Site Graduation… (in late August or beyond) [Adulthood]
So Physics Overflow will reach it’s childhood at the age of one and a half months next week! Sorry, couldn’t resist from giving stupid analogies.
Seriously, these things remain to be done, with the deadline (I copy an answer of mine from Physics Overflow):
I think that the TP.SE question Public beta: Attracting users? is also relevant to us.
In my opinion, there are some plug-ins (a job for polarkernel) remaining to be installed as soon as possible, such as
- SEO Links (discussion)
- Q2A Webmasters
- Warn On Leave
- Q2A Embed Media
- Q2A Featured Questions (can be helpful for keeping the “Bounties” question on meta at the top)
- Image Manager
These plug-ins are good to have, and the first one is almost a necessity. I wonder why Q2A does not incorporate it in it’s core.
The second one gives admins some great tools to see how well the site is faring at a glance. It could even be made public I hope.
Additionally, we also may want to decide on solutions for having a chat room. That somehow reminds me; we may also consider retaining the tpproposal blog as a (hopefully $\infty$) life-long blog for Physics Overflow. The chat room; I’m not sure if we should wait for the public beta to start or not, but I just thought of reminding everyone about it.
From the things you have listed the following need to be done by 0000 hours, [CEST]
- [DONE] Edit the site description. (discussion)
- We should invite everyone listed in the blog post.
- We should announce on the TRF thread and invite Lubos too. Dilaton will write a guest post on TRF.
- We should obviously announce on the blog.
- On the blog, user10001 (dushya) had the idea of promoting the site to various physicists in the world.
- I (and anyone else who is interested) need to finish 14 and 15 of the FAQ.
- The long users need to be corrected (I will do this).
- The main page needs to be set to Q&A.
- Change permissions
- Edit robots.txt (a job for polarkernel)
- Changing all admin-added links (in the sidebar, navbar, etc.)